Wednesday, September 5, 2012

words (pet shop boys)

















 "We got a letter from Al Stewart, actually from Al Stewart's manager, saying, I've heard the boys are big fans of Al's and would they like to write with him? So obviously we said no. But I'll say it for the millionth time, I've never really heard Al Stewart apart from "The Year Of The Cat" and I can't remember a single lyric out of that tune. I don't think I do sound like him but I know exactly what the similarity is, it's pronouncing the lyrics and having a slightly fey-sounding voice and not singing in a strong American accent. But there's not a lot I can do about it, really. That's what I sound like, I'm afraid. I can't sing any better than that. It's unfortunate but there we are. When we recorded "Always On My Mind," I thought I put loads of feeling into the vocal and the first thing someone said about it was, Oh, Neil, I love the dead-pan voice, and at that point I realized I may as well give up, really. So if I sound like Al Stewart on Behaviour, it's not a tribute, it's unintentional I'm afraid."

- Q magazine (December, 1990)

No comments:

Post a Comment