Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Native North America on Q (CBC)

In 2007, I appeared on CBC's Q (then hosted by Jian Ghomeshi) alongside Cougars' vocalist Jay Douglas to promote Light in the Attic Records' Jamaica to Toronto: Soul, Funk, and Reggae 1967-1974. Today, I will guest alongside James Bay Cree Lloyd Cheechoo (CNACA) in support of Native North America (Vol. 1): Aboriginal Folk, Rock, and Country 1966-1985. Q's current host is Wab Kinew and I look forward to hearing how the prerecorded piece was put together. During the course of our talk, Wab mentioned that his family had a Willie Dunn LP in his house growing up. I imagine that would've been very inspiring and thought provoking, no doubt, a real eye (and ear) opener! But of course, one comes to music when you do and all that matters is that it resonates within. While Wab and I are Canadians of different cultural backgrounds, we both have Willie Dunn in common and that, to me, represents part of what's great about this country, the opportunity for meaningful exchange and dialogue, learning from personal experience and from each other! PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment