Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Orange t-shirt today

I walked down the lanes as I often do, en route to the post office. In the distance, I saw what could only be described as a gaggle of little people, surely under 3 feet tall, children from Chabad Midtown, lining up to enter a short yellow school bus. The sight tickled my stomach and I began to chuckle like the image of old Saint Nick seen in advertisements. They could have been little bears, cats, or birds and I would have felt the same. Spirits. Today, I chose an orange shirt from my closet, emblazoned w/ the Native North America album cover image. Three the Hard Way: Willie Thrasher, Willie Dunn, and Willy Mitchell (*Fellow journalists, note the spellings). On my face, a pair of polarized lens sunglasses that ease my eyes from the bright sun shining down from the sky and reflecting against a great many surfaces. My destination was close, yet it felt hazardous crossing the busy Vaughan/St. Clair intersection, a diverse meeting place where a road and avenue connect and the smells of Jamaican food from Albert's Real Jamaican Foods can be enjoyed free of charge. Today, I catch pimento and coconut milk. Heading south on Vaughan on a green light saw two left turning cars eek ahead of the many pedestrians. To quote Giorgio, "Watch your step!" or maybe just watch the road drivers? Shoppers was my destination and I strolled into the large store w/o batting an eye. I was only until I joined the queue for a minute that I realized that I hadn't put my face mask on, a rare breach of COVID-era etiquette and bylaw. I'm sure that the postal clerks would have mentioned it to me one way or another causing much embarrassment on my part so I'm glad that I eventually clued in to my lapse. To think that there are still relatively new ways to participate in society on the street level is still a trip, wherever it is you may roam... PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment